In 1955, the Italian manufacturer MASERATI sought to attract rich privateer racers with the 150S that was developed to compete against German and British rivals in championship sports car racing. The popular 1,5-litre category was the target market but the chassis could be altered to create different wheelbases and the engine could easily be enlarged up to 2,0 litres. Grand Prix driver Jean Behra drove a 150S to victory in the 1955 Nürburgring 500-kilometre race ahead of no less than 14 Porsche 550 Spyders.
The four-cylinder, light-alloy, twin-cam engine featured, dual spark plugs per cylinder and a pair of twin-choke Weber carburettors. It produced 104 kilowatts. A five-speed gearbox was used and the top speed was 230 kilometres per hour.
With its Celestino Fiandri-designed body, this 1956 150S is one of the last of the 26 cars that were built. It took part in the 1956 and 1957 Mille Miglia races.
|Country of Origin||Italy|
|Engine Type||4 cylinder inline DOHC|
|Power Output||140 BHP or 104.39 kW|
|Transmission Type||4 or 5 speed manual|
|Braking System||Hydraulic drum brakes all round|
|Top speed||230 km/h|